What to Expect: Low Vision Appointment
We are honored that you chose the Robert Cizik Eye Clinic for your eye care. Our mission is to improve the lives of our patients through the delivery of exceptional, personalized, and compassionate patient service.
We want to provide you with some information that should help make your time with us as comfortable and productive as possible, and to let you know that this appointment may be different in several ways from your experiences at other clinical offices.
Our Clinic Experience
A complete low vision evaluation often requires in-clinic testing as well as a thorough review of medical records and a patient interview.
- Allow about 2 hours for your first visit.
- We book only one appointment per time slot, so please remember to be on time for your visit.
- Note that we will do a low vision refraction on all patients, and this is not covered by insurance. This costs $45 and is only charged if we issue a prescription.
- You may have microperimetry (a type of visual field test for central vision loss) or extended field testing (for peripheral field loss).
What to Bring
In order for your appointment to be as efficient and productive as possible, please note the following:
- Please bring your eyeglasses and any low vision devices with you.
- You are welcome to bring examples of your hobby, crafts, or reading material.
- Bring a list of medications you are taking.
- Bring your insurance card and photo ID.
- Please have all of your records sent to our office prior to your appointment if possible, or bring them with you.
- If you would like, bring a list of questions for the doctor.
- Please take advantage of online forms that can be filled out through your MyChart patient portal. Having these prepared beforehand can help expedite your visit.
We have a team of highly specialized physicians who provide treatment for both routine and complex diseases of the eye. Depending on your specific needs, our multidisciplinary team of physicians and other providers can leverage the strengths of this large group of specialists to determine the best care plan for you and provide comprehensive eye care.
Our Academic Leadership
Our clinic is part of an academic medical center and teaching hospital, which makes it a unique asset to the community. Our physicians are leaders in our community, at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, and nationally. In addition to providing exceptional medical and surgical care, part of their mission is to train the future generation of physicians. We have medical students, residents, and fellows in the clinic learning the art and science of patient care. While you may see these trainees during your appointment, your physician will be involved in and direct all aspects of your care.
It is our goal to make your visit go as smoothly as possible. Please allow a couple of hours for your visit with us. If you have a specific question about your visit, or if there is anything we can do for you, feel free to contact our clinic staff.
Robert Cizik Eye Clinic
Ruiz Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science
McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
6400 Fannin, 18th Floor
Houston, Texas 77030